It is important for everyone to think about their health and this means exercising regularly. One of the great ways for people to stay in shape is to go to the gym. Gyms have access to a variety of workout equipment and offer classes to make sure everyone gets the most out of their workout. Furthermore, there is something about being surrounded by other people working out that just motivates people to work harder. On the other hand, gym memberships can also be expensive. The good news is that there are ways for people to save on gym membership.
How Can I Get Discounted Gym Memberships?
If you are looking for ways to get a discounted gym membership, there are a few tips to follow. These include:
- Think about timing. There are always sales on gym memberships if you are willing to wait for the right time. The biggest sales usually happen around New Year’s Day, as many people sign up for gym memberships as a part of their New Year’s resolutions. Throughout the year, some gyms will run specials at the end of the month. Be sure to check back regularly.
- Consider your employer. There are many companies that are looking to save money on their health insurance plans. If their employees are healthy, they might be rewarded with lower premiums. Therefore, many companies have access to discounted gym memberships. Be sure to ask your employer.
- Talk about the competition. The reality is that most gyms are flexible. If there is a gym that is close to your house but it is too expensive, show up with a flyer for another gym on the side of town. Mention how much cheaper they are and the gym closest to you might be willing to match the offer. If this doesn’t work, ask to speak to the manager. They often have more authority.
- Take advantage of free trials. Almost all gyms will be willing to let you try before you buy. This is a great way to get a month (or two) free at the gym before you have to start paying. If it turns out you like another gym better, you can always cancel and go there instead.
These are a few of the biggest ways that you can save on gym membership. One of the most often overlooked methods of saving involves your insurance company.
What Insurance Companies Pay for Gym Memberships?
If you are looking to save on gym membership, the good news is that there are a few major ones. Some of the biggest companies that will partially reimburse you on your gym membership include:
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) Bfit
- AmeriHealth, which runs a program called Healthy Lifestyles
- Aetna, which offers gym membership reimbursements as part of several health insurance plans
- Cigna, which offers a 40 percent reimbursement for some plans
It is important to note that these are large companies with multiple plans. If you are looking for a plan that will help you save on a gym membership, it is important to read the terms of your plan carefully. If you have questions, reach out to your insurance company and ask.